Migraine and Headache
Migraine and Headache... Many of us know too well what it is.
Successfully Treated through Natural Means
of Acupressure, Trigger Points Therapy,
Diet and Exercises
The dry official medical definition for headache is "pain in the area of the head and the upper neck".
In 2007 the International Headache Society updated existing classification of types of headaches to the following:
- Primary Headaches. This is most common type of headaches.
Secondary headaches - headaches that happened as result of an injury or an underlying illness: trauma, concussion, whiplash, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, tumors, other underlying structural problems in the head and neck.
Facial Pain, Cranial Neuralgias. Occur when nerves in the head and upper neck become inflamed.
- Tension Headache. Caused by tension of the muscles of the head and neck.
- Cluster Headache. Cluster headaches are headaches that come in groups (clusters) lasting weeks or months.
- Migraine Headache. Migraine headache is caused by enlargement of blood vessels and the release of chemicals from nerve fibers
- Variety of other less common types of Headaches
Headaches are the most frequently occurring painful condition. We casually consume over the counter painkillers believing in their safety. But many studies show the link between casual intakes of painkillers and growing incidence of hypertension and kidney disease. Click this link to read more about side effects of migraine and headaches treating drugs.
Aside from the over the counter drugs, there are a wide range of analgesics, narcotics, anti-inflammatory migraine drugs such as calcium channel blockers, beta-blockers and antidepressants. Unfortunately all of them have some number of side effects.
There are cases when we need to start taking medication.
However, there is a way to reduce the consumption of painkillers to a much smaller amount, and maybe even completely exclude them from our daily routine.
Shiatsu and Acupressure (Acupuncture without needles), rooted in Oriental Medical Theory, offer a more holistic approach in treating headaches. Many people find natural relief for their headaches through means of Acupuncture, Acupressure, Shiatsu treatments
To sum up, the main causes of headaches are:
- Structural (Ex.: cervical stenosis, nerve impingement)
- Diet and Digestion
- Diseases ( Ex.: sinusitis)
- Women's Health related ( Ex.: migraine headaches, cluster headaches around menstrual cycle)
There are cases when structural and muscular changes happened as a result of accidents.
In many others cases though, postural disbalance comes from our daily routine. All little everyday things influence our posture: the way we drive, sit, sleep etc.
Click to read more.
Here, at "Shiatsu Therapy Plus +" we will help you to balance out your posture through the means of Trigger Points Therapy and Fascia Release techniques.
Besides faulty postural habits there is an emotional component which can influence our biochemistry and trigger the headache. Emotions which arise at the moment and the "old" emotions, which were suppressed and then trapped within our body, have a great influence on our well-being.
Click to read more.
Shiatsu Therapy is great for untangling and freeing our bodies and minds from unprocessed and suppressed emotions.
It can give you a supportive hand when you are going through emotional turmoils.
Often times migraines and headaches reflect our dietary choices.
"Shiatsu Therapy Plus +" Treatment Protocol:
If you are open for dietary changes, we will provide you with recommendations based on Chinese Medical Theory.
- Checking structural misbalances in hips and spine is the standard starting point in "Shiatsu Therapy Plus +" protocol for treating painful muscular-skeletal conditions. Hips are the base of spine and its balance greatly influences the balance of whole body and alignment of the spine. Many times our headaches are due to misalignment of cervical and upper thoracic spine ( neck and shoulders area)
- Muscular misbalance will be worked through the means of Trigger Points, Fascia releases and Assisted stretches (most stretches are from Thai bodywork). Most often affected musles are muscles of the neck, shoulders, upper back and muscles of the chest. Main trigger points are located in neck area. They create secondary Trigger Points in muscles of the chest and upper back. Sometimes facial muscles are the source of headache and migraine.
- Meridian work (acupressure) will be applied along the meridians that are specific for every person for every set of symptoms they experience.
- Dietary recommendations according to Chinese Medical Theory will be provided when needed. Often change in the diet is an important component of the treatment.
- Exercises for balancing the muscles will be provided if needed. If during the treatment Trigger Points were found in the neck, shoulders, upper back or chest, then strength and stretching exercises will be very beneficial.
- Self-awareness techniques maybe used during the treatment and/or suggested as a part of self care routine.
If condition is created by stress or strong emotions then easy and simple meditation techniques may be very helpful.
Being able to minimize the level of stress maybe the most important part in controlling the condition.
"Shiatsu Therapy Plus+" has very targeted approach when dealing with headaches and migraines by using the combination of techniques that greatly complement each other: acupressure, trigger points and fascia work. In some cases you will feel the difference after first treatment. And you will definitely feel change for better in 3 treatments. For long term headache sufferers it may be beneficial to take periodical treatments once in 3 or 4 weeks as a means of preventive care.
Shiatsu Therapy Plus+ providing services in Bucks County, PA 484.213.2938